Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Boyz II Men Review

Much to my own chagrin, I have to write this piece over who are what I would classify as the African-American version of the Backstreet Boys. It could be worse though at least I didn't get have to listen to a Lil' Wayne or Kanye album. See the problem I have with "bands" such as Boyz II Men, N'Sync, 98*, Kanye, Lil' Wayne among the endless supply of similar groups is that they do not play any instruments. Generally I would consider having the ability to play an instrument as well...instrumental in creating music, which is usually considered an art until it turns into the constant rehashing of the same themes. Another thing I enjoy in music is being able to relate to the subject matters of the lyrics, but Boyz II Men, to their credit really, have made not only an entire album but career where every song deals with love, and women. I'm into girls too, but there comes a point where there's no further to go on about a subject matter and it just becomes monotonous. Also I have other things going on in life other than my "love" life to me it comes off like they're just trying to produce a product that will sell which is very insincere, and is the polar opposite of a creative artistic process which is what music is in theory. The sad part is, from hearing this album it does sound like they have talent as singers, their melodies aren't bad and I do like the almost barbershop style of singing they use; but the beats are completely interchangeable and I sincerely doubt they played any of the piano parts throughout the album. As is plainly obvious to all the two or three people who may read this, I am not the type who's into R&B I openly admit my favorite types of music are heavy rock and metal. But I genuinely believe any style of music can be good, I for one have no hesitation in expressing how much I like Elton John or David Bowie both are fantastic musicians who surround themselves with other terrific musicians and create amazing art, without just appealing to the lowest common denominator of people or selling out to record companies with uninspired work. With that said talentless hacks seem to rule the landscape of music and they are from all genres see Hinder, Coldplay, Daughtry, Ronnie Millsap, Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift, and the list goes on infinitely. But there are good groups from each genre, I for one really like De La Soul, Wu-Tang Clan, OutKast, pre-2000 Snoop, etc. these guys had something they wanted to say through their music and it was genuine, they weren't concerning themselves with selling albums they said what they believed and that is much more respectable then creating insincere bullshit to sell to the idiot masses. That ultimately is what separates the great musicians from the hacks, the Boyz from the Men if you will. A lot of people have good singing voices and great technical musical talent, but not all of them have something to say or have the nerve to say it regarless if it will sell or get your music on the radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment