Monday, April 30, 2012

The Temptations


     The Temptations made for TV movie tells the story of an aspiring young group of singers who would go on to become one of the biggest acts of the MoTown era of music. Their music would go on to influence a range of other performers like Boyz II Men, I personally was awestruck by the infinite similarities of the Boyz II Men album I review earlier in the semester and the music of The Temptations. However I do feel less contempt towards The Temptations because at least they were among the earlier groups to do what they did; but at the same time I can’t say they are original given that all their music was written for them.
           
     This movie in general was well-done the actors were actually pretty good. I especially liked David Ruffin he reminds me of people I know and is definitely entertaining even if he was driving his other band mates insane.  It was also interesting because I knew David wasn’t going to make it through the whole movie, the only thing that surprised me was that he out-lived Paul by close to twenty years and almost out-lived Eddie and Blue. This movie took on a snuff-film like persona rather quickly towards the end with all the band mates dropping like flies except for Otis Smith who’s still alive today at the rightful age of 70.

     Overall this is a very-good movie; they did an excellent job of story-telling and throwing in humor mixed with tragedy. I would certainly recommend it to anyone who enjoys old school doo-whop music or is interested in history of the MoTown music movement. I would even recommend it for fans of modern acts like Usher or other soft-jams type music because they all have some kind of influence from The Temptations.      

No comments:

Post a Comment